THE ANDAMAN AND NICOBAR ISLANDS
Andaman and Nicobar islands are a group of 572 Islands in the Bay of Bengal. These Islands are 1,353 km away from Chennai and 1,287 km away from Kolkata. Out of 572 Islands, Only 38 Island are permanently inhabited. These are two island groups, the Andaman Islands and the Nicobar Islands. The total land area of these islands is approximately 8,249 km2 (3,185 sq mi). Andaman and Nicobar Islands has 3 districts viz. North Andaman, South Andaman and Nicobar district. Port Blair is the capital and the only in/out hub of these islands. Total population of Andaman and Nicobar Islands is around 4 lakhs with a population density of 46/sqkm. Most of the land area is covered with dense evergreen forest. Languages spoken are Hindi , Bengali , Tamil, Telugu , Malayalam, and Nicobarese.
The only way to reach Andaman and Nicobar Islands is either by ship or by flight. Indians don’t need any permits to visit Andaman group of Islands and it’s not permitted to visit Nicobar group of Islands.
HOW TO REACH ANDAMAN ISLANDS
Permits for Foreigners
Foreigners need to obtain Restricted Area Permit to visit Andaman Islands. If they are arriving by air, the can get permit issued at Port Blair airport on arrival. If they are arriving by ship they should get RAP at Chennai. Permits are issued for 30 days only and can be extended for 15 more days in case of genuine reason. Indians do not need any permits to visit Andaman Islands. The places where one can do overnight stays at South Andaman Island, Middle Andaman Island and Little Andaman Island (except tribal reserves), Neil Island, Havelock Island, Long Island, Diglipur, and Baratang. Only day trips are allowed to South Cinque Island, Ross Island, Narcondum Island, Interview Island, Brother Island, Sister Island and Barren Island which can be visited on board vessels only with landing possible.
The capital of Andaman and Nicobar Islands (Port Blair) has international airport named Veer Savarkar International Airport (IXZ). Flights mainly operate from Chennai, Kolkata, New Delhi, Mumbai and Hyderabad. The airlines which operate are Air India, Jet Airways, Spicejet, Go Air, Air Vistara and Indigo Airlines.
Ships from Chennai, Visakhapatanam and Kolkata are available which takes 3 days to reach Port Blair, the schedule is not fixed and are available only in the month end and only 4 to 5 sailings are available to each sector every month, so proper tour planning is not possible. The approx fares for tourist are:-
Deluxe Cabin: Rs. 7,640/-, First Class Cabin: Rs. 6,320/-, 2nd Class Cabin: Rs. 5,030/-, Bunk: Rs. 1,960/-.
IMPORTANT PLACES IN ANDAMAN ISLANDS
- Port Blair – is the capital of Andaman and Nicobar Islands and sole entry/exit point.
- Diglipur – is 340 Kms away from Port Blair and is connected by road and sea. Diglipur is in North Andaman and has some beautiful places to visit like Ross and Smit Island, Kalipur Beach and Saddle Peak.
- Rangat – is a small town about 200 Kms away from Port Blair and has few beautiful beaches like Aamkunj Beach, Dhaninallah Beach, etc.
- Mayabunder – This small and peaceful town is about 280 Kms away from Port Blair and has few beaches like Karmatang Beach, Avis Island, etc.
- Havelock Island- It is the most visited Island in Andaman has one of the most beautiful beach, called Radhanagar beach and has beautiful beach resorts.
- Neil Island – Neil Island is most beautiful beach after Havelock Island and is very similar to Havelock Island.
- Wandoor – a beautiful beach near Port Blair is gateway to Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park.
- Baratang Island – Famous for Mud Volcano, Limestone Caves and Mangrove jungle.
- Little Andaman – Little Andaman is famous for surfing.
In Andaman and Nicobar Islands the best weather is from mid January until mid May, during this period the days are mostly bright sunny and the sea remains calm. The rainy season normally begins at the end of may and ends at the end of December.
Andaman and Nicobar Islands has moderate temperature all through the year and the temperature ranges from 23 degree to 32 degree Celsius.
Comfortable and tailor-made family tour packages.
Starting from Rs. 5000/- per person
Honeymoon tour packages for a romantic vacation.
Starting from Rs. 5000/- per person